The First United Methodist Church of Pittsburgh is centrally located and is surrounded by four city communities: Bloomfield, Shadyside, East Liberty, and Friendship. Our building sits at the convergence of Liberty Avenue, Baum Boulevard, and South Aiken Avenue. We are one-half block east of Shadyside Hospital on Centre Avenue, four blocks east of West Penn Hospital on Liberty Avenue, and across the street from Hyatt House on Baum Boulevard.
Parking is available in the church lots around the building, and next door in Wendy’s lower parking lot during Sunday worship services only. Street parking is also available at metered spaces around the church building (Free on Sundays).
- Get onto Bigelow Boulevard East (entrances to Bigelow Boulevard can be found near Consol Energy Arena and the USX Tower).
- Take the Bloomfield Bridge exit and cross the Bloomfield Bridge.
- At the end of the bridge, turn right onto Liberty Avenue.
- Continue through Bloomfield past West Penn Hospital to Baum Boulevard. The church building will be on your left.
- Continue to Centre Avenue and turn left. Watch to your left for the driveway into the church parking lot.
- Take Forbes Avenue through the University of Pittsburgh campus toward Carnegie Mellon University.
- Turn left onto Morewood Avenue.
- Continue straight on Morewood Avenue, crossing Fifth Avenue, Ellsworth Avenue, Bayard Street, to Centre Avenue.
- Turn right onto Centre Avenue.
- Pass Shadyside Hospital to South Aiken Avenue. The church building will be on your left.
- Continue across South Aiken Avenue, and watch to your left for the driveway into the church parking lot.
From the East
- From the Monroeville area (Exit 6 on the Pennsylvania Turnpike), take I-376 East toward Pittsburgh.
- Take the Edgewood exit.
- At the end of the exit ramp, turn right onto Braddock Avenue.
- Continue through several lights, and turn left onto Penn Avenue.
- Continue through several lights, and turn left onto Fifth Avenue.
- Continue on Fifth Avenue past Shady Avenue, Highland Avenue, and Negley Avenue. Turn right onto South Aiken Avenue.
- Turn right onto Centre Avenue. The church building will be on your left. Watch to your left for the driveway into the church parking lot.
From the North
- Take Route 28 to the Highland Park Bridge exit.
- At the end of the bridge, follow the signs for Butler Street.
- At the end of the exit ramp, immediately get into the left lane, then make a quick left onto Hill Street at the light.
- Drive up the hill, through the Pittsburgh Zoo, always bearing to the right. After two sharp right turns, you will dead-end at Negley Avenue.
- Turn left onto Negley Avenue.
- Continue on Negley Avenue to Centre Avenue and turn right.
- Drive three blocks; the church building will be on your right. Watch to your right for the driveway into the church parking lot.